GCHS History and Mission
Founded in 1956 and headquartered in Juneau, Alaska, the Gastineau Channel Historical Society (GCHS) is a non-profit organization that seeks to promote the history of the Gastineau Channel area, operate the Last Chance Mining Museum, and care for the Sentinel Island Lighthouse.
The GCHS also seeks to promote the preservation of historic buildings, monuments, markers, and other historic edifices in the Gastineau Channel area. The GCHS produces newsletters, publications, and programs, as well as organizes activities and host of other events associated with the history of the Gastineau Channel area.
The objects and purposes of the Society shall be the discovery, preservation and dissemination of knowledge about the history of the Gastineau Channel area of The Juneau Goldbelt as defined by A.C. Spencer (U.S. Geographic Survey Publication #287, Windham Bay/Berners Bay [p. 37-137]).
More particularly, its objects shall be:
- To discover, collect and own any material which may help to establish or illustrate the history and the culture of the Gastineau Channel area, in the form of archival records, material objects, photographs, memorabilia, relics, art and electronic or other media; to conduct and support historical and archaeological studies of the area.
- To provide for the preservation of such material and its accessibility to all who wish to examine or study it; to work with officials of the City and Borough of Juneau in ensuring the preservation of records and archives of the Borough; and to bring about the preservation of historic buildings, monuments, markers and gravesites, such preservation efforts shall be sensitive to the original context and use of the site or structure and the interests of the community.
- To disseminate historical information and arouse interest in the past.
Board of Directors and Project Contacts
Directors are elected by the members at the November annual meeting.
Committees manage activities and projects.
- Gary Gillette President, Sentinel Island Lighthouse, 586-5338
- Gladi Kulp Vice President, 723-0460
- Paula Johnson Secretary, 789-3302
- Malin Babcock Treasurer, Membership, 789-9423
- Kristie Swanson Director, Annual Meeting Coordination, 723-1723
- Rich Mattson Director, Website Coordination,789-5490
- Laury Scandling Director, Newsletter Editor 321-7060
- Renee Hughes Coordinator, Last Chance Mining Museum, 586-5338